Geography and Network Routing Possibilities
- Draw on a map the boundaries of the area rented by the Camp Orga, the area controlled by B&P, and the areas of any other private properties between the two main areas.
- Boundaries are fully understood.
- If we need cables to cross other private properties, how do we get in touch with the owners to obtain permission?
- B&P is the only entity that we need permission from for the likely fiber runs. Permission will be granted subject to the job being done “right” and us cleaning up afterwards. Doing the “job right” will involve running the fiber through “Defender Kabelbrücke” covers in the few spots the fiber crosses (lightly) used paths that cars may drive on. We should find out from the appropriate team (who is the appropriate team?) if they can provide the “Defender Kabelbrücke” parts. Rumor has it they have some stored in a warehouse.
- We might be able to get the fiber from the Camp Networking Team. If not, fiber is cheap and we can buy some.
- TBD: will the Datenklos come with user-facing transceivers or should we tell participants to bring their own Flexoptix for both ends of of any fiber-to-the-boat? [Question moved to Orga Wiki].
- We can provide the labor to run the fiber to the Datenklos and take it down. Running fiber from the Datenklos to the individual boats will be up to the skippers.
- We have no Datenklos. We need to talk to the Camp Networking Team about obtaining Datenklos from them. We will need 3-4 Datenklos for the harbor areas. (We are assuming that each Datenklo has a WiFi AP in it. Perhaps ask to make sure that’s the case)?
[Question moved to Orga Wiki].
- Is there a way to get a sense for how many people might want to attend Camp by boat?
- Between the harbormaster and the charter boat operators, they know of at least 9 slip reservation requests or outright boat charters so far. It is January and the harbor is covered in ice. Camp is in August when it will be hot and “water” will sound rather appealing. Nine requests this early in the year seems like a lot. The number of folks attending by boat has the potential for growing to a larger size than we would have guessed.
- Which of the slips in the Alter Hafen actually exist and are available for guest rental?
- The Harbormaster wants all the Camp-related boats to berth in Neuer Hafen. Leaving Alter Hafen for day visitors and regular customers that come visit every year. Deciding where to put us is the Harbormaster’s prerogative.
- Nonetheless, there probably should be a Datenklo in Alter Hafen as well, since there are services there (restaurant, laundry) that Camp participants will use and it would be weird to leave Alter Hafen as network dead zone. Stringing fiber should be straightforward since there is an existing aircraft wire on poles crossing the access road to which the fiber could be attached. Doing so will require a lift. We will recommend to the Camp Networking Team to install a Datenklo at Alter Hafen and are happy to provide suggestions for the fiber run if desired, but unless the harbormaster changes his mind, Team Harbor doesn’t plan any activities in Alter Hafen and will focus on Neuer Hafen per the Harbormaster.
- Is there a time limit on slip rentals in Alter Hafen? We heard 1-2 days is the maximum rental time in Alter Hafen
- Yes, the Alter Hafen is used for day visitors, boats that just stop for lunch or dinner, and regular guests that come every year.
- Which of the slips in the Neuer Hafen shown on the PDF plan actually exist and are available for guest rental?
- All of the slips in the PDF have been built. Guest rental slips are on the center pier and towards the east. The shore side (towards the CCC Camp area) is reserved for the resident charter boat operators.
- What is the slip rental fee?
- Reasonable. We took a photo of the price list and will add the prices to the info page.
- Are there slip rental agreements that need to be signed? Can we get copies?
- What is the procedure for booking slips at present?
- Contact B&P and be sure to tell them you are attending CCC Camp. We’ll make that clear on the info page.
Would B&P permit Team Harbor to rent slips via the Camp ticket website? TBD. It sure would simplify matters by providing one interface. Also needs to be discussed with the appropriate CCC Camp Team (who is the appropriate Team?) if it is willing to add slip rentals as a line item to the ticket sales website. [Idea discarded].
- Is car parking available for slip renters, for how many cars, and at what cost?
- Car and even RV parking is available to charter boat renters. Prices are reasonable. We will add the prices to the info page.
- How will the designated parking spots be defended from rogue parkers?
- The Harbormaster enforces.
- Which facilities exist (bathrooms, showers, laundry) and where are they located on the map?
- TBD for Neuer Hafen, which is the harbor of relevance here. (We know the answer for Alter Hafen)
- How is access to those facilities controlled at present?
- May we set up Datenklos? (Caroline already gave permission for her area in Neuer Hafen at the back wall of the red building)
- Yes, subject to the job being done “right”.
- Is there a clear path for running power and networking from the Camp area to the two harbors that doesn’t cross other private property?
- The only private property that needs to be crossed is the Harbormaster’s. And Caroline’s for one of the likely Datenklos. We only need fiber runs; there is sufficient power onsite to power the Datenklos.
- We should to draw those paths on a map
- We need a contact partner on the Camp Networking Team to whom we can provide this info. We also have photographs and can explain the desired fiber runs in detail.
- May we set up an art “lighthouse”? Potentially combined with a Datenklo?
- Yes, in Neuer Hafen
- Is there a limit on the directions in which the light may shine?
- Initial research shows that it appears OK to have a 360 degrees art “lighthouse” installation rather than just having an angle-restricted installation that only shines towards the shore.
- May we run LED light strips along the edge of the piers?
- Reasonable requests to run cabling and the like will be approved by the harbormaster subject to the job being done “right” and us cleaning up after ourselves. (The rule appears to be to “leave the place as we found it”). This may require a cash deposit, which Team Harbor should be able to cover. Amounts have not yet been discussed.
- TBD: how do we make sure that all the cabling will be removed after the event?